Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any builders on here? Rendering question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Any builders on here? Rendering question. Reply with quote

The exterior rendering on the back of my house is a bit iffy and I want to get it put right, Is there anyone on here who does that sort of work who could give me a rough idea how much it would cost to sort?
Ideally I want the old render removed, then new render applied.
The stuff on now is just pebbledash, but I would prefer something a little more weatherproof, and with a white coating??
not sure what its called!.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pebbledashed my toilet this morning for a low price.

Just the cost of a curry.

owdamer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats helpful.

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you count the fact I bumped it when I replied, a little bit Razz

I imagine Daz|n00by knows something about this, drop him a PM I would Razz

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 21:17 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, did i see my name? Wink

Yes i have done this for a living and may i say its a most satisfying job when done in the summer Smile

From what you describe you have 2 options to go.

1. full removal of old render and pebble dash, chase out or mesh the brick work under neath, then apply 2 coats of render (1 scratch coat and 1 top coat) then apply a Tyrolean finish to what ever grade you want from very light and smooth to heavy almost roughcast finish (light finish looks the best and give the nicest finish imo), Tyrolean also comes in various colours from off white to sand stone and even in harsh colours now such as blue and red.

2. Remove all loose and blown render rake out joints and 2 coat to bring flush to surrounding render, then 1 coat the whole back wall after treating with a coat of Unibond and rub smooth, then apply Tyrolean to required finish as above.

the second option being the cheapest and fasted due to the work involved in-removal of all the old render.

Prices will vary a lot with different builders and how set up they are to do the job, ie a scaffold platform will be needed, either you provide or they provide same with a skip.

As a rough guide work on anything between £15/ 25 a square metre for 2 coat render and Tyrolean and a minimum of 3/4 days work depending on weather.

If its a 1 off i usually charge by the job myself and for a average back wall ie 3 windows and a door house i will charge approx£120/150 and then materials(about£80) in your case.

Also if full removal of render is done then you will need to take in to account the re beading of the wall, this entails round the window with angle bead,bell bead across the bottom of the house just above the damp course and stop beads if the house next door doesn't have render finish.

If your handy with a plastering float and hawk then option 2 could be done by your self with a bit of guidance untill you get to the Tyrolean part which is a very akward job for a diy person.

hope this helps you a bit.

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i will charge approx£120/150 and then materials(about£80) in your case

If it's a 3 or 4 day type job, ie. 1 day per coat + 1 day stripping, how on earth can you charge £120-£150? Thats between £30 and £50 per day Confused

I presume you mean its £120-£150 per day?

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 22:06 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day will be remove old render only, maybe beads at the most.
second day will be patch old render up to surface maybe 3/4 hours work, day 3 will be to finish render top coat maybe 5 hours work 6 at a push last day will be Tyrolean maybe 3 hours work including waiting for for first coat of Tyrolean to dry.

I make that approx 20/22 hours work for £120/150.
the area were i live is not in the habit of paying top wack for building work so i charge accordingly to suit were i work and who i,m working for.

When i,m on my sub contract work to the offices that i do maintenance for i charge £22 hour.

Besides that i enjoy my work and usually end up doing favors for people and just "have a drink".

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz,

We need more builders like you! Smile

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 22:18 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Daz,

We need more builders like you! Smile

TBH Toby its my biggest downfall in life and the reason i never have a big wad of cash, i,m whats known as a soft touch. Crying or Very sad

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose it's not a good way to be when you have to earn for yourself.

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:33 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good builders are hard to find - You're definitely undercharging there Daz. But you sound like you know what you're doing too - Wish you'd done our house.

Back of our house sticks out 1.5" further than next door. That's cos the rerendering had to be done three times because they kept fucking it up. The first time they didn't bead the reveals. Rolling Eyes

This builder wanted to leave it grey too. Even though I had specifically stated I wanted a white finish to match the rest of the house. "That's decorating mate", was the answer. Twat.

Thankfully the guy putting the conservatory up, subbed to the builder otherwise it would have been a right arseache trying to sort out. He got them to do it again.

Then, when he came to put the frame up, he took his timbers out from under the lead and found that they hadn't nailed the lead to the wall (with the bead nails) and the lead and new render came away in his hands. He went absolutely fucking totally mental - Really went purple and was throwing his tools and all sorts. Wish I'd had a video camera. He sacked them and only paid them materials cos he'd lost 4 days on the job putting right their crap.

He than got another builder to fix it and put tyrolean on the whole wall, which sorted it. But then we had it painted over the top too and paid extra because IMO the tyrolean white ain't that white. Gave him a case of wine when he finished. Top bloke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daz|n00by
The Internet

PostPosted: 22:50 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
because IMO the tyrolean white ain't that white

Thats because its off white m8 Wink
Actually its more like Old English white. the best colour to have is mustard really as it holds its colour for a good 4/5 years before it needs painting and it doesn't show up any uneven surface on the wall caused by shadows which can show up like a sore thumb with off white Tyrolean more so on a sunny day.

Quote:
Back of our house sticks out 1.5" further than next door. That's cos the rerendering had to be done three times because they kept fucking it up

Thats a joke m8 and if you can still get in touch with them get them back and sort it because all they have done is rendered over render, now although that sounds ok the reason rendering is done in 2 coats is because the first coat needs mesh or open brick joints to bite too, then this first coat is scratched to make that surface rough, this enables the top coat to get a grip on the first,
If they have rendered on top of a smooth finish believe me this will not hold for many years and will blow, more so after a couple of winters due to the fact it hasn't nothing to hold on to.

It really could do with sorting m8 unless they rescratched the surface underneath.

I undercharge fo people in my area who can not afford to pay top wack m8 but i can make a fast buck aswell if i need to but apart from my sub work all my jobs are word of mouth and i can work 7 days aweek if i so wanted.

Its maybe a case of "Horses for Coarses" when i can see somebody is well off enough to pay then i charge accordingly.

People who have asked me on here i would never dream of ripping off as i consider them as acquaintances and word of mouth on here could really make life hard for somebody who finds his own work.

not that i poach for work on here and have no need too. Thumbs Up

BFG
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:01 - 08 Mar 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! It's OK though, all the old render came off and there was a good scored base done.

I think I'm exaggerating with the extra thickness TBH. You can see a step, but it's that the original new render wasn't that flat, so the tyrolean made up some thickness on the second run. I'm happy it was a sound job eventually on a sound base, but I'll keep an eye on it all the same. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 90 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1