Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Never ending work

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Never ending work Reply with quote

Are all jobs like this? , my previous job in Falmouth had me working till 7PM quite often, it was salaried , and I often started at 8AM even though I was only paid for 7.5hours a day.

That job is now history

But now I'm having a repeat of history again , though now it seems like I am their slave or something , I have a rule , when I'm off the clock I vanish , get lost ......

So when the boss calls me up today 6PM (unpaid time) , I click reject call on my cell phone , and do this for the next hour , and switch the phone off , then somehow he gets my home phone number and starts calling me to go in to take a delivery.

Calls at around 2AM are a increasingly frequent occurance and I'm not happy with this...

Considering UK employees do 25bn of unpaid overtime are all jobs like this? , I'm just wondering the consequences of downing tools
at the end of a shift and walking off , I mean ikn a super busy period or being commissioned its OK , but it seems to be a very regular very annoying event.

I've just reached a point thinking I'd be better off delivering pizzas being paid for 38 hours while actually having to do close to 57 hours is starting to grate , pretty much means that I am earning well below the national min wage...

my bad luck or just another day in paradise?

any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 23:19 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't do it.. if you're on salary then work the salary terms and that only, when your boss complains just say it's not in your contract and that your contract states X amount of hours... an hour here or there is fair enough but if you're doing 57 hours when you're contracted for 38 then that's taking the piss, also being called out of work and especially at 2am is a load of bollocks, you're right to unplug/turn off phones.. fuck em'

We work to live, not live to work!!!!

I can't understand one of the managers at work, he works like... almost all the time, at home or in office or on site yet he only on a salary and doesn't get paid /that/ much.. I can understand working that much if you own the company as the more you work the more you get/more secure you are but if you're on salary then whats the point?? work hard and keep your job secure is one thing but living to work is just beyond me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also illegal. You are not allowed (under the Working Time Regulations 1998) to work more than 48 hours a week unless you have specifically signed an opt-out clause agreeing to do so. The opt-out clause cannot be included as a standard term in your contract of employment, it has to be seperate.

Also, if your average weekly hours do take your salary to under the minimum wage and you are not getting time off in lieu or any overtime that is illegal too.

Speak to ACAS. www.acas.org.uk They will advise you of your rights and, if necessary, speak to your employer and tell you what your options are. Thumbs Up

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="babyyam"]It's also illegal. You are not allowed (under the Working Time Regulations 1998) to work more than 48 hours a week unless you have specifically signed an opt-out clause quote]

Does that mean you are flat not allowed to work more than 48 hours a week or just not on a regular basis?

I work in electrical maintenance, I used to work for a manufacturer and now I work for a government run company. In my previous job we used to work 12 hour days for 14 straight days once a year for a big shut down. In my current job Ive worked 18-20 hours sometimes twice a week plus my three other 8 hour days. Does this mean my employers have broken the law or are there ways and means around it? In some cases if you are called back to work and work past midnight you get the next morning off but ive yet to do that.

Working overtime without pay sucks big time. Its easy to say 'refuse' but at work people can make your life hard, at the end of the day it is your source of income. In that way I am lucky because the way I have worked has always been for big companies doing a skilled job at full time rate. I have a contract etc. This is as opposed to a small company that only have a handful of employees, and if someone doesnt volunteer then it doesnt get done and the company don't get paid.

We dont get paid for overtime, we get the same amount of time off back in our hand. Working a couple of extra hours a night is no problem as they add up, but getting 8 hours for losing your friday/saturday night is no compensation whatsoever.

I think that what is going on here is not neccessarily the norm but it is the norm for your company to do so, I dont think that 2AM calls are fair if you are not on an 'on call' scheme and are paid regularly for the offchance of being phoned.

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 00:30 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our company does emergency 24-7 call outs, we have a rota, one person gets the phone for a week then the next person, they get paid £40 just for having the phone whether it gets called out or not then they also get paid for attending the call out... so unless you at least get similar to the above then you shouldn't be called at 2 am Confused

Begining to think the company I work for are pretty good now Laughing we get paid overtime etc... we've just changed our work ruling to JIB regulations (we are electrical contractors) which changes things a bit but we all get contracts and it says what we are expected of etc.. contracts are there to protect the employee so you should speak to your boss and discuss your contract and how you shouldnt be called opon to work extra hours like you are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:04 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly work more that 48 hours a week, working 12 hour shifts on a rota... but we get fair pay (or flexi-time/annual leave)for all the hours we work etc
Our team members signed one of those opt-out clauses, but again this was voluntary.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you've had more than your fair share of the sh1t end of the stick mate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:45 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working for a company who did this. The salary was calculated to be just over minimum wage. Then, I was expected to work through my unpaid dinners, and finish whenever I finished.

I was there for a month.

I now get paid £20k for sitting on my arse, faffing around on the web, and when I'm due to finish work, I actually finish.

Fuck them off and get phoning around. You are a human being, not a robot.

You can opt out of the 48 hour clause, but there are talks of only certain industries having this right. I work about fifty something on average, but thats my choice. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:55 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work a rediculous number of hours and do on-call (in the last week I was on-call 24 hours for five out of the seven days because someone was on holiday). There is one thing that is understood though. When I am off, I am off. Same goes with the others.

My boss does not know my mobile number, if he were to start calling me on it when I'm off, I would change it.

The simple one is to not be at home when you are off and don't take your mobile, I make an art of being uncontactable. If I am off, I tend to jump on the bike and fuck off somewhere, I take my personal mobile but it is switched off unless I want to get in touch with someone.

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 26 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Villers"]
babyyam wrote:
It's also illegal. You are not allowed (under the Working Time Regulations 1998) to work more than 48 hours a week unless you have specifically signed an opt-out clause quote]

Does that mean you are flat not allowed to work more than 48 hours a week or just not on a regular basis?

Your boss isn't allowed to MAKE you work more than 48 hours a week but you can do voluntary overtime.

Doing unpaid overtime? Confused

Fuck that, I get time and a half for overtime during the week and double pay if I work on a sunday.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1