Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HJC FG-14 Helmet Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: HJC FG-14 Helmet Review Reply with quote

I finally decided on my new lid. It was rated second in the RIDE power tests I think, which is nice to know.
I went to the local shop to try it on, then ordered it off ebay. In the shops it goes for 169.99, but I got it from forest edge ebay store (great people by the way, really helpful and nice to deal with over the phone) for 129.99 with next day delivery and a free silver race visor Smile

For the money, its great. It looks pretty cool in the 'flat chrome' paint scheme (I went for the silver one with a silver visor) and I was really surprised by how light it is.

It has a quick release visor system, but to be honest I found it a little fiddly. It relies on being able to see the mechanism through the visor, so when fitting the silver one it was a bit tricky. It won't be a problem for me because I don't think I'll be switching visors on the go, but if you do it might be worth trying it out before buying.

The main reason I got rid of my Roof Boxer was the fact that it mists up instantly in this kind of weather and tends to let water in. The HJC didnt disappoint, I havent seen any mist at all in it yet, it comes with an anti-mist visor fitted and has a closing mechanism designed to tilt the visor inwards at the last click, meaning it seals really well.

Noise wise its alot better than the boxer as well, Its quiet even at speed, although I did notice a whistling noise if I tilt my head to one side (only when going quickly) which I think is caused by the vents. Its not intrusive though. Speaking of the vents, it has one in the chin bar and a large vent running over the top finishing in a kind of fin at the back. Looks cool. With the weather I havent really tested it yet, but it looks large enough to have some use Smile

It came with a removable breath guard as well.... to be honest its a bit much, it comes up pretty high on me and feels a little claustrophobic. Since the visor is so mist-proof its not really necessary anyway, but I might use it on long rides.

It also has removable lining for washing and a removable chin curtain, which I can't rate highly enough. It really works.

I also like the fact thats its got a double d ring fastener. It feels alot more secure than the seat-belt type on the boxer, but obviously its a bit more fiddly and I can't do it up with gloves on. That might be me though, I still need to get used to it.

All in all its great, really pleased with it. Using it really makes me realise just how bad my old lid was and what a big effect a nice helmet can have on the riding experience, especially at this time of year.

Definately recommended Thumbs Up

dont have a digital camera, but pic below is same lid with same visor from google Smile

jon_nsr
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:44 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a brand new one from ebay for £46, never see that again, was a one off thing, its easily the best helmet ive owned, they're light and look great. also its so comfy, great buy there!! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

funmonkee
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Double D Reply with quote

Double D is the best Thumbs Up

nice lid Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 19:47 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one nice helmet Thumbs Up Mr. Green the visor looks mad Shocked

Also good review Wink

dansuresh
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:13 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great review!

great timing too since i am about to get one too! Was going to ask about this helmet but you've anwered my questions!

what colout visor do you think will go with the red helmet?

i was thinking black but i like my colours

Thanks
Dan

Robchester
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:20 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was actually the ac-11 which came 2nd in RIDEs helmet poll. Looks a nice helmet

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 22:26 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the difference between DOT and DOT SNELL?

Looking at them at a dealers here the DOT goes for $50 less.

Im figureing saftey but in what way construction materials?

dansuresh
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:03 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what DOT and DOT SNELL is but sometimes there is a price difference between the colour scheme on the helmet.

Is this with the HJC FG 14 since here there is a normal colour scheme and then theres a chrome one and in some shops there is a £20 difference between them.

Apart from the colours they are exactly the same

HTH

Dan

NSR150RR
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:19 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOT is for meet DOT requirement.
DOT and SNELL are for meeting DOT and SNELL requirement.

DOT is Department of Transportation in the USA.
SNELL is for SNELL foundation named after the racer that died of head injury.

In the US, Motorcylist Magazine did an article on helmets and found that helmets that meet SNELL standard is too stiff and transfer around 200 Joules of force on to the rider's head in crashes. DOT only helmets came out better with only around 150 J transfer to the rider's head because of softer materials. It's an ongoing debates about this.

In my opions buy the DOT approved only and your head will thank you. Added bonus, DOT approved only helmets are cheaper than SNELL approved.

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Mr. Green Cheers mate.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 26 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks very similar to my cheapy, but it's in red, is a Lazer. I like mines design, so I might go for one of those, good review! Thumbs Up

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:16 - 27 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

it comes in red/silver as well Thumbs Up Wink

...I'm not sure about DOT or SNELL.... I guess its an american standard, but it has a gold ACU sticker (british standard) on the back, so its good enough for use on the track even.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1