Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Credit cards: Blacklisted adresses

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:58 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Credit cards: Blacklisted adresses Reply with quote

Just wondering if I applied for a card, having moved house just recently, and then incurred a bad debt against them, would my previous or new address then be blacklisted?

Anyone?

Ta.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as a credit blacklist, only against an individual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:06 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

I thought adresses got blacklisted as well?

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 20:15 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently not, it may have used to be the case, but no more

https://www.joincreditexpert.com/homepage/faq.asp?faqDisplay=18#18
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:24 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why are linked addresses shown on my report?

Lenders may take information into account that is recorded at addresses you have lived at or been linked to in the last six years

Sounds like an address does get blacklisted.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 20:27 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but that's still tied to you, another person can move straight in and not have problems with getting credit.

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:31 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, so it get's taken in to account, but credit rating is ultimately tied to you?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think so. It would wreak havoc if credit blacklists were tied to an address and not the owner! Shocked

BigChris
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:47 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Re: Credit cards: Blacklisted adresses Reply with quote

octane wrote:
Just wondering if I applied for a card, having moved house just recently, and then incurred a bad debt against them, would my previous or new address then be blacklisted?

Anyone?

Ta.

Things have moved on from the days of blacklisting. If you're done for bad credit, it'll follow you even if you move. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:55 - 23 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I know... someone Shhh! who's moving out of the country, and has no intention of coming back. They know that any bad debt would'nt follow them to where they move, but they're curious if the debt they leave behind would mean a bad credit rating for the people remaining behind at the UK address.

Soooo?

Fortuna
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:56 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

octane wrote:
Look, I know... someone Shhh! who's moving out of the country, and has no intention of coming back. They know that any bad debt would'nt follow them to where they move, but they're curious if the debt they leave behind would mean a bad credit rating for the people remaining behind at the UK address.

Soooo?

No, but it will follow that person when they come back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 01:13 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a scare tactic...
some lending authorities will point out that if you default on payments that anyone living with you may suffer because of your default. Although this can be true (depending who the creditors are) it's not always the case!
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

anders wrote:
Davo wrote:

INCORRECT!

If you get bad rating it goes down on your address as well.

Regards

Yup!

Had a similar situation a few years ago with my brother.

He is Richard Alan.
My dad is Richard Louis.
I am Lewis.

because my brother ran up a load of credit card and finance debt the house got blacklisted.

Had to fill out loads of forms and send them to Experian explaining I have no financial link to my brother. A lot of grief when you're tryign to buy a decent TV and you get turned down. How embarrasing!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is no such thing as a credit blacklist, just as there is no such thing as your credit rating (how you are rated for credit is down to the individual loan company and how they have designed their score card). Info is recorded against the address but can only be used for credit reference against the person with the debt (or those closely related). Virtually identical names will cause issues, as will shared surnames. More than 2 surnames are treated as a multitenancy and the info returned is a lot more restricted.

Remember that it is not just what you regard as credit that will affect your credit rating. Even TV rental will affect it (and no doubt mobile phone payment history).

All the best

Keith

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:39 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a credit reference report from:

www.equifax.co.uk
www.Experian.co.uk

You will get a credit rating which is a guide for the loan companies etc to use.

In the report there might be names associated to you that maybe bring your rating down. These names could have been associated to you due to an address that you have shared, or maybe they have the same name.

All you have to do is disassociate yourself from these people and your rating will improve. You do this by contacting the credit reference company you use.

Some associated names (such as your parents) can improve your credit rating...I believe....but I'm not 100% sure on that one!

Hope this helps

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitfire wrote:
If you get a credit reference report from:

www.equifax.co.uk
www.Experian.co.uk

The cost of these reports is legally controlled. Don't get fooled into paying far more for a slightly snazzier version of it that the credit reference agencies sometimes try to push.

spitfire wrote:
You will get a credit rating which is a guide for the loan companies etc to use.

Any credit rating they give you is fairly meaningless as the credit suppliers will decide for themselves depending on the market they are aiming at. They might well not even bother doing a search with one of the credit reference agencies before accepting / declining your application, and if they do then if will probably be directly to the database through their own scorecard.

All the best

Keith

spitfire
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:24 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The cost of these reports is legally controlled. Don't get fooled into paying far more for a slightly snazzier version of it that the credit reference agencies sometimes try to push.

agree. I think the cheap report is sent in the post and cost £3 ish. I was in a hurry and got an on-line one for £9 ish

Quote:
Any credit rating they give you is fairly meaningless as the credit suppliers will decide for themselves depending on the market they are aiming at. They might well not even bother doing a search with one of the credit reference agencies before accepting / declining your application, and if they do then if will probably be directly to the database through their own scorecard.

I'm sure this is the case, however I got a report for my girlfriend last year when she was having trouble getting a loan, disassociating herself from some people on her list (from shared houses at Uni etc) improved matters somewhat.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:34 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The disassociation should help, but should also be irrelevant in shared accomodation. Gets to cause a problem where there is only 2 names as they are taken as being a couple and so finacially dependent on each other.

All the best

Keith

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, so say the person moves to another uk address, BEFORE leaving the country, does it go to the last known address, or the one before that?

Ta.

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 18:29 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, from what I can work out, if s/he becomes uncontactable the creditor can place a CIFAS warning on him, which means if he does something that causes a credit search to be run on him/her, the lender could be provided with his current location.

Bearing in mind that a credit search can be carried out for minor things, like certain occupations, rentals, utilities etc..

Not to mention they could then find themselves subject to a criminal investigation if they can prove that they left with no intention of paying it back.

Quote:
Look, I know... someone who's moving out of the country, and has no intention of coming back. They know that any bad debt would'nt follow them to where they move, but they're curious if the debt they leave behind would mean a bad credit rating for the people remaining behind at the UK address.

Please don't be under the illusion that they won't be able to track you down, my friend did a similar thing, eventually they traced him down to his little african village he was doing missionary work in (although did take around 4 years).

Dan 4RR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

octane wrote:

Soooo?
Someone..... meaning yourself Wink

octane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:06 - 24 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:

Please don't be under the illusion that they won't be able to track you down, my friend did a similar thing, eventually they traced him down to his little african village he was doing missionary work in (although did take around 4 years).

And then?

DAF
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:31 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're talking about is fraud, pure and simple. My personal advice would be to tell your friend not to be such a lowlife crook in the first place and work for his money like everyone else.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:52 - 25 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo wrote:
Basically, from what I can work out, if s/he becomes uncontactable the creditor can place a CIFAS warning on him, which means if he does something that causes a credit search to be run on him/her, the lender could be provided with his current location.

CIFAS is the fraud system (Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System), and he could be put on there for suspected fraud.

However they have seperate systems to trace people down who have tried to move to skip their debts.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2